Patient Empowerment • Hope • Informed Decision Making
As healthcare professionals, my sister and I always believed strongly in creating environments that support patient empowerment, hope, and informed decision making. We then found ourselves needing to personally apply this same approach when she was diagnosed with ocular melanoma.
And so it was in her honor that EyeMelanoma.org was established in 2011 as a website that focuses specifically on providing patients and their families with online links to useful resources and to accurate up-to-date information on this rare cancer.
- This U.S.-based website continues to be actively maintained every month.
- Throughout the year, new resources are added from trustworthy organizations around the world — primarily healthcare organizations, health-related nonprofits, medical journal publishers, academic/medical centers, medical associations, and public health agencies.
- Information must be available in English to be added, and links to any additional languages are also noted when available.
- Resources are always listed alphabetically or in date order with the descriptions quoted directly from their websites.
- Existing resources and their links on this website are re-verified throughout the year.
The EyeMelanoma.org website is very much meant to be a place of encouragement. I hope that when using the links to educational videos, patient guides, support services, medical journal articles, clinical trials, organizations, and the many other types of resources compiled here, you are heartened by the continuously expanding work being done in ocular melanoma research, treatment, and support by truly dedicated people.
Wishing everyone strength and healing,
Erica Barrett, MOT, MBA
In loving honor of my sister Paula